December is a great month to reflect on your achievements from the current year and to set intentions for the coming year. According to William Bridges (based on 30 years of research), in order to move successfully from one life transition to another, it is important to let go of any negative emotions associated with it, to celebrate the positive aspects and lessons learned from it… and to get clear on your vision for a new relationship, career, business … . The end of a year may be considered the ending of a transition and the start of a new year, a new beginning.
A process that I’ve found to be extremely useful for myself, and my clients is to answer the following questions and journal about them at the end of a year and before starting a new one.
What are the achievements I am most proud of in 2017?
What am I most grateful for this year?
What lessons have I learned regarding relationships, work experience, my own blind spots … over the past year?
What are my intentions for 2018 (in five areas)?
- Personal life – i.e. What my personal life looks and feels like. Note that it is important to write your intentions in the present tense as if you have already accomplished them. For example; “I am strongly connected to myself, my gifts, my fears, my strengths. I courageously uncover any and all fears, doubts and limiting beliefs that are holding me back from standing in my true power and fulfilling my larger vision and mission … .”
- Related to my Health – i.e. What my health looks and feels like. “I feel great! My body is toned, strong and flexible. I radiate health and vitality – physically, emotionally, socially and spiritually. I do yoga 3 to 4 times/week, meditate daily and spend regular time in nature hiking, kayaking, swimming, cycling …
- Financial – i,e. What my financial life looks and feels like. “ I average $_______ thousand a month in terms of income generation through Creative Life Coaching. I feel financially free and serene. I pay off my credit cards every month and my line of credit is paid off. …
- Spiritual – i.e. What my spiritual life looks and feels like. “I continue to meditate daily and deepen my ability to go within and connect with the Universal wisdom. I continue to strengthen and listen to my body’s wisdom. … “
- Intellectual – i.e. What my intellectual life looks and feels like. “I am flexible, flowing and open to new ideas. I connect with my creativity easily and effortlessly. … I blog regularly and articles come to me easily. I design and facilitate workshops and retreats that many women connect with and learn from.”
I encourage you to experiment with the process above. Feel free to change the titles of the 5 areas suggested to ones that resonate for you. Reviewing your intentions quarterly and noting how you’re doing in relation to them, helps keep them top of mind and provides encouragement to move forward. Using your intentions as a “touch stone” at the end of each year to review your achievements is helpful.
Celebrating your accomplishments feels so good and is important to provide you with the energy and commitment to move forward and fulfill your intentions.
Best of luck reflecting on 2017 and setting bold intentions for 2018. To your health, happiness, fulfillment and inner peace!
I invite you to try out the process and welcome your comments below. Feel free to share this post.
 Bridges, William. Transitions – Making Sense of Life’s Changes. Cambridge: De Capo Press, 2004.
I look forward to the time between Christmas and New Year’s Day to reflect on where I’ve been and where I’m headed next. Thanks.
Hi Andrea, Good for you! I hope you find the process useful. Happy Holidays!
Yes Pamela a great time to reflect, this years i am moving forward on how to i want to feel, be etc in 2018 for my intentions xxx
Great Suzie! Thanks for sharing. Have an amazing 2018!
Congratulations Suzie! Wishing you a 2018 filled with love, laughter & dreams coming true.
I wrote about the big life changing transformation that my husband and I purposefully made happen. It affected nearly every aspect of our lives, and while I focused on the financial freedom it brought, it also opened up many doorways.
Many possibilities await in 2018 ?
Hi Peggy, When you get clear on what you want and believe you deserve it, it is truly amazing what miracles happen in your life. Here’s to you and a 2018 filled with love, laughter and dreams coming true!
Thank you, I could use a few more miracles in my life right now.
Hi Heather Maria, Here’s to you and to miracles in 2018! Warmly, Pam